SAVANNAH VALLEY SPEEDWAY
March 28, 2024, 04:11:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: http://www.facebook.com/bg3100867

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

NEW ARMA Twin SUPER MODIFED

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW ARMA Twin SUPER MODIFED  (Read 1717 times)
George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Level 4
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »

Well I have begun to build me a NEW Super Modifed. Its gonna be a slow build. It is legal for ARMA in 09 one of thier new classes. IT will be legal for the WOO candian club. I plan on going up their at least once a year. I mounted the rear axle and an adjustable wedge I want to to try to use. Not sure If I can or will but its there for now. This will be an unconventional build, as per ARMA sanctioned class build in 3 ways. It will be 2" off the ground, 42" inches wide and have an offset of 4" meaning center of frame to left outside sidwall 19" and right side 23". It will have a vertical motor, 700 trans, standard type clutch and for now I will use mowers tires on the rear and Kart grooved on the front. Below are pics of the start.

as you can see the axle and wheels on to double check hieght

Here are the new wheels. I am not 100% liking the hub. Reckon I will get with Carroll about making some beefier ones.

This is a look from the rear. 1.85" ride hieght. Not much but its a start.

Front axle beam is on finally

Rear view of the seat in and rear fender support

Side view of the seat in place just sitting there

Rear fenders widened 4"

Here is a closer look of the fenders.

Side look at fenders still have alot to do to get them done

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
ARMA 8 Time National Champion
USLMRA 3 Time National Champion
Herrin Mower Sports Racing Team/Fat Boyz Racing
Hohenwald Tn. 38462
http://btmra.smfforfree2.com

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming . . "WOW ---What a Ride

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Mike Gentry #17G
Administrator

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:32:22 am »

Lookin good george ........... keep us posted   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Mike Gentry #17G Pro-X
2009 Joined ARMA
2009 Indoor Winter Nationals Twin Class Runner -Up

Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 07:49:33 pm »

Well I have the fenders cut for the seat. It isn't high quality work, but I ain't no metal worker.

A view from the rear you can see the section I added in 4" wider than stock now.

Here is the right side gonna be lots of work making it look like it was done that way But its coming along. Have to cut bend form and weld then smooth it all in an effort to blend all the pieces into one.

Well as you can see the motor is backwards. Front end is on and steering is working. Got to get the column up and over the motor now.

The next two pictures shows how the axle and steering is setup. Yes I like front steer plus the exhaust is gonna wrap around the rear of the motor.

Here is what will be facing me. Will be different thats for sure....Still a long way to go.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 03:07:07 pm »

Well Me and Jake did a bit more. I been building in my head the whole time its been sitting and I ain't been doing nothing. So this didn't take very long at all to do. I already did it several times in my head. Anyhow the steering is done 1/4 turn full lock both ways and very smooth and easy to turn. Below are some pictures of the steering.

Here is what it will look like. The hood is just sit over it still have to do some trimming to get it the way I want.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

DoNoHo

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 07:30:15 pm »

JAM UP " George, realy looks good. I like the steering, mine bout killed me !
Report Spam   Logged
George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 10:53:48 pm »

I diod it 100 times in my head we prolly spent about 3 hours total on the steering this weekend. Hardest part was getting the energy to do it. I been feeling a bit better. But don't wanna over do it either and have a relapse.  But thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:15:55 pm »

Here is the latest progress. Added a 3rd rear axle bearingsince I did not have rooom on the left side due to the size of the seat to accomodate my REAR end. We basically cut a pheonix kart up using the rear bars and rear bumper. Was gonna use a gear box that Ty from up north sent me but they were too tall. LArry came thru with a peerless But its aleft hand SO i am gonna make  a shaft. But we are at least making progress. Finally.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 06:47:44 pm »

OK We got somemore done to the Super today. Thanks Larry ole pal for stopping by and helping out some. Gotta give the deck credit to Larry. He is pretty slick when he wants to be. As you can see we got the decks mounted and used the chute so it looks real. I wanted it to look like a mower to some extent. Also the support for the ride side of axle has been added.

As you can see I used all the space available between the tires this is full lock and still have a lil room. This will eliminate wheels inside of wheels while racing and offers more room for the feet.

Here is a view of the left side on we fittied both sides and blended them to the running boards/chassis.

An view standing back of both sides on

View of right rear

rear view of left side

Hear is underneath so far. I ran a brace from side to side and nothed it for pulley clearance then filled it in with a flat piece it will also serve as a belt guide

Better view of right side and chute the natural chute gives the heel a good rest on the deck.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:04:36 pm »

Did some more work. Added a dash thought it would look good. I think it does.. Plus gives me a better spot to mount some things.

Used a hub with a quick release one we sell at work. Makes it easier to get out by removing the wheel and laying it on the dash.

Here ia another view of the steering wheel and dash in place.

Well me and jake built the exhaust today. We ran up to the shop (EC) and we learned how to use the tubing bender together.

Here is a bit closer look at the headers as the come off the heads.

As ya know the motor is in backwards so the exhaust comes out the left side of chassis then forward to the front and around the motor.

here is a view from the front. Nothing left except a collector. Not to shabby least ways me and jake like it.

Here is the shot down between the legs. Fuel tank is mount there, air filter tucks in there nicely, although I somehow missed my measurement when putting the cross bar in which has the tank mounted to it. I had to raise the engine 3/4 inch for the filter to fit in right. BUT it made making the exhaust bends off the header a bit easier. Anyhow nothing left but clutch (manual) not centrifugal, wiring it up, collector on exhaust,mounting master cylinder and pedals run brake line, and fuel lines. Hope to race it this weekend for the first time.
Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 06:07:43 am »

Ok new pictures since our test runs last weekend. Here is the business end what the driver see's.

Here is another view of it

Here is the dash I made and what it looks like with everything in place

Thanks to Carroll/EC for the nerf bars. Had some left over from chassis he had built years ago and said get me some. SO I installed this one tonight. Will Get the other one tomorrow night mounted on.

Here is the hood with a few stickers on it. Still have to have the EC Stickers for the sides of it made. Thanks Larry and Jeannie for the new Design.

The front end looking down on it. Mounted the number plate on the bumper and now has the lense in it. I think it looks really good. But thats just me.

The next two pictures shows the exhaust and how/where it exits the body. Thought it would create a foot/heat issue but doesn't.

Here is the view from right front side of the extension/jack shaft of the ragb. Solid 3/4 shaft which was actually a 3/4 axle out of a transaxle. We cut it down and added another keyway

Here is the belt setup you cannot see the engine pully. I will get a better picture in the day light. But due to lack of room I used a sinlge pulley clutch. I had a EC clutch plate that one side was stripped so I whacked it off and made this clutch. It is also operated by a cable not a linkage rod. No room for a rod.

Here is the spring going otu towards the rear. Showing how I put tension on it.

Here the back side of the chassis as you can see it shows the rod with nuts so I can adjust belt tension easily.

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:12 pm »

Here is a quickie video of a few laps today!!!

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

George Herrin
ARMA S/R Director
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 09:27:08 pm »

Here is a walk around of the mower. I am learning this stuff slowly'

Report Spam   Logged

George Herrin BP#6
BTMRA President
Hohenwald Tn. 38462

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum